5 Tips for Saving Money on Gluten Free Foods
Even though embracing a gluten free diet is the best and only treatment for celiac disease, people are going gluten free for a variety of reasons from gluten sensitivities to improving overall health and wellness. Some gluten free items may be a bit more costly but a gluten free diet doesn’t need break your bank. Here are 5 tips for saving money on gluten free foods:
- Keep Specialty Foods to a Minimum: The gluten free versions of common foods like bread, cookies, pretzels, and crackers often have higher price tag than their gluten containing counterparts so keep these specialty foods to a minimum. Try making your own or find alternative snacks that are naturally gluten free. Besides, just because a food is gluten free does not always mean it’s healthy.
- Embrace Gluten Free Grains and Pseudograins: Grains that are naturally gluten free avoid that ‘specialty’ food premium like brown rice, teff, corn, and millet. Pseudograins are those that are not grains in a traditional sense as they are technically seeds, but are naturally gluten free as well as being super foods loaded with vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals. Trying bringing these super pseudograins into your diet: buckwheat, amaranth, wild rice, and quinoa.
- Eat Whole, Gluten Free Foods: There is a wealth of wonderful foods that do not contain gluten which are the foundation of a healthy diet like fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and legumes.
- Read Labels: This cannot be stressed enough for preventing an adverse reaction from gluten hidden in foods, but when you become savvy you can identify mainstream foods that are gluten free. This will help you avoid that specialty food markup.
- Stay Alert for Sales: Check the sales for coupons or special offers on your favorite gluten free foods. Many manufacturers have better prices buying directly or provide special offers and coupons on their website. Try shopping online as prices are often much cheaper, or sign up with your favorite companies via their website or Facebook to stay on top of special deals.